Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Secret Pal Questionnaire

So, I should really be focusing on grading papers right now, but I thought I'd procrastinate instead especially since there happens to be construction and lots of loud drilling right by my window! No, instead I thought I'd post my SP8 questionnaire. Here it is:

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I've been having some traumatic experiences lately with cheaper fibers. Specifically, I'm using Paton yarn that my striped scarf pattern called for and while it is soft due to the acrylic - it keeps splitting!! So, I really do prefer natural fibers overall: wool, mohair, cashmere, cotton, etc. I really don't like the look of novelty yarns - anything furry or sparkely turns me off.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
The packaging it came with - if it came with packaging and in a Ziploc bag. So sad! I'd actually like to get a case for my crochet hooks soon because not having a holder for them has become an increasing problem.

3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I've been knitting for about 6 months so I'm a relatively new knitter, but given the projects I've been working on, I think I'm intermediate...I'm also adventurous..so if a pattern uses a new technique, I'm happy to learn and give it a try. I just learned (literally - as in, last week) to crochet so I'm still a beginner with that. But, I love it and am also up for any challenges.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yes! My amazon wish list is: here. It's just books though - there are plenty of other knitting related items that I want but that amazon doesn't sell.

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
I like Vanilla a lot - but the weather is getting a little warm for that. So, in the summer months I prefer fruit scents and also green tea scented items.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Chocolate of any kind is good - very good but also very bad! I especially love white chocolate.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I don't spin - the only other fiber craft is crochet..although I used to embroider when I was much younger. I also love to cook (that's DIY, right??!!).

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like mostly Indie type rock - Belle and Sebastian, Franz Ferdinand, and Beck have been some of my recent favorites..but I also like a little Classic 80s pop - reminds me of my childhood!!

9. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
I really like blues and purples and pinks - but am really open to anything.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I'm very happily married - in August it will be five years! I can't believe it. I have 2 cats: Frodo and Sam (can you tell that we like The Lord of the Rings?) that I love very much. No kids - probably not until tenure or around then.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I do wear scarves with my coats and jackets - although I don't know how much longer with the warmer weather coming. Hats and mittens I also wear - but not any longer. I have a few ponchos that I will sometimes wear - but I feel that they don't always look so good on me.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I love knitting sweaters - even if they take a while...it's very gratifying to wear something you've made.

13. What are you knitting right now?
Well, I'm working on the Airy scarf for Mother's Day. After that, I bought this pattern from Patternworks:
Pretty right? So, I'll be working on that. I'm also working on my crocheted striped scarf and will probably pick a crocheted bag to do next before moving onto something more challenging.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Absolutely!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Circular needles - I'm currently hooked on Addis. For crochet, I prefer metal/aluminum hooks

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Nope - I wind my own with a lot of "help" from my two cats

17. How did you learn to knit?
I took some private lessons that we being offerred (very cheaply) at this craft store near my apartment. Anything more advanced has come from books or www.knittinghelp.com

18. How old is your oldest UFO?
Not so old because I haven't been knitting that long..but both my vintage sweater and socks are on the backburner. I think they've been there since March or so.

19. What is your favorite holiday?
I don't celebrate Christmas - but I love the Christmas season. Everyone is generally so happy and everything looks so beautiful with the decorations. But, I love Thanksgiving - my husband and I hosted our first Thanksgiving and it was so fun because we love cooking.

20. Is there anything that you collect?
Hmmm - I don't think so.

21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
Well, you can see my Amazon list for the books. I love Rowan designs - but since Kim Hargreaves left (I love her designs), I haven't liked their more recent things as much. I am planning on subscribing to Interweave Knits though - after knitting the shrug from the spring issue, I think it'll be worth it to have a subscription. I just haven't gotten around to it.

22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Eventually, I want to get to Intarsia.

23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
My first socks are on the backburner for now...but I'm a size 6 1/2 or 7.

24. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
August 24th (08/24)

Phew! That's it for now - I've really got to get back to that grading!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home