Tuesday, March 14, 2006

A Citizen Model or Model Citizen??

As promised, here's a picture of my hubby modelling the Manly Sweater:


It's a little big on him - he's actually quite slim - but he seems to like it. Unfortunately, he probably won't be wearing it until next winter. It's just getting too warm and the sweater is quite heavy.

In other knitting news, I'm making good progress on the To Dye for Sweater. The back of the sweater is finished. Tomorrow I'll start working on the front. So far, I'm happy with the way that it's looking.

I'd also like to take some time to discuss something completely non-knitting related. Yesterday, we got the paperwork for our taxes in the mail. It turns out that hubby and I again owe the government more money! This year, because some bonds of ours matured, we now owe the govt. over $2,000! This is only slightly less than what we actually made from govt. bonds that have been maturing for the past 30 years! Now, my question to all of you is: does this happen to everyone else? Does everyone else end up shelling out the big bucks come tax season? I feel that no matter what we do, we always end up owing money. The thing is - I am very much a democrat. I have no problems with paying taxes - that is, if my tax dollars end up going to worthwhile causes such as a national health care system, a better educational system, or a regulated system for daycare. But, I do have a problem when my money ends up going to war or tax refunds for the wealthy. Argh. It just seems that no matter what we end up doing, we just can't get ahead.

Well, enough of that - I'm not about to depress what few regular readers I have!! So, let me conclude on a more positive note. I just found this great new website: http://www.phdcomics.com - I don't know if you're familiar with it - but it's very witty. Those of you who have gone or are going through grad school will find that a lot of their comics hit very close to home. Here's one that I found especially relevant:

3 Comments:

Blogger Alice said...

i love the phdcomics, yet to see one where they show knitting as academic procrastination, but its only a matter of time.

6:15 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Thanks for the comic, I'm going through grad school now, finshing my masters, and it's the little things that help.

12:56 PM  
Blogger zippiknits...sometimes said...

Oh, knitting as academic procrastination. Lol!

Grad school, if you have to work your way through it, keeps you out of the competition longer so that the rich can plug in their own kids first, like the Bush's did. Just a little joke of mine.

Oh taxation, what ill thou hath wrought. And yes. Until you retire, you owe. Then you seem to get a little bit back. This is the first year we haven't owed money in ages. I agree, the tax system needs to be more progressive. A lot needs to be. hehe

1:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home