Tuesday, March 07, 2006

I seam to dread seaming

Good news: I'm out of my knitting blues.
Bad news: I'm stuck in seaming hell.

Yes, it's true. I finished all of the pieces of the Manly Sweater. Since I last posted, I finished the second sleeve and fixed the first sleeve then did the neckband - which created a little bit of confusion as to how to attach it to the sweater properly...but I think I figured it out.

So, now I have the very daunting task of seaming the whole thing together. Now, I know I'm not the only knitting who really dislikes seaming...so why is it dreaded by so many? For me, I feel that after spending weeks knitting this thing, now that the knitting is done - I wish that the whole thing were truly done...but instead, it will take a few more days. But, why is it that those few days seem like an eternity? It will be done before the week is out - and that's not so bad in comparison to how long it took me to knit the whole thing...but I'm really trying to get myself to relax a little bit about it. I wouldn't want to wreck weeks of knitting because of a shoddy seaming job.

Once I finished struggling with the collar yesterday, I seamed up both shoulders and part of the side. Tonight, my goal is to seam in the sleeves. I think I can I think I can!!! However, my new yarn should be arriving tonight - so I might end up getting a little diverted while I play with that for a bit.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your blog!!

As for the dreaded seaming/finishing I agree totally. I think it's also the fact that you have to be so careful in how you finish the garment or else you can ruin something that took so much time/effort in the finishing process. It's anxiety provoking for me at least!

11:02 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Oh I hate the seaming too. I thinks it's because as a knitter the seaming is like sewing which I despise and if I'm done knitting I should have a finished project. Can't wait to see the final picture.

2:47 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

I tried thinking of seaming and finishing etc as a "treat"

didn't work

:)

4:47 PM  
Blogger zippiknits...sometimes said...

Seaming sure isn't a treat. But, I like the fit of a sweater that's been done in parts much better than one knit in the round, especially the neck. Congrats on getting your manly sweater otn and otm. Very nice work.

1:36 AM  
Anonymous Champaign Doors said...

Lovely post.

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home