Tuesday, May 16, 2006

My bag is complete!

Very exciting news today! I finished the fat bottom bag. Here's the finished product:
What do you think? I'm personally thrilled with the outcome. Notice the flower??!! Yes, I crocheted that myself too!! I really really love the purse - I can't wait to take it for a walk in the real world! Plus, the whole thing was rather painless and fun to make.

By the way, no need to be alarmed...that black and white blob in the top right corner is just my other cat, Sam. They are both very nosy when it comes to my knitting.

So, now that that's finished...I ordered some yarn from knitpicks because I want to do a crocheted afghan...something very retro - I'm thinking granny squares. It should be fun. I just can't wait for my yarn to get here. Plus, I wanted something super portable because I'll be going on a little road trip in a few weeks with my parents to Charleston so I want to bring projects that will be easy to bring - and squares are just the thing.

In terms of knitting news (yes, I still do knit, silly) - I've been making decent progress on the lacy tee. So far, I've gotten through 3 pattern repeats of the lace pattern for the bottom edge:

I'm definitely enjoying this project more than the vintage short-sleeved. For one thing, every other row is a purl row which makes things a little easier. Anyway, I'm pleased with it so far. I think it'll really be beautiful when it's done.

In other news, I'm going to my graduation tomorrow!! Well, I officially defended my Ph.D. in July and got my degree in October - but I didn't get to participate in any formal ceremony...so tomorrow is the formal commencement. I may already be a professor but nothing was about to keep me away from commencement. I worked very hard to march and get hooded!!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL! ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!!

*Your Secret Pal*

5:31 PM  
Blogger zippiknits...sometimes said...

I have so much to catch up with on your blog but I just wanted to check in and say, Congratulations on the new Camera, and in getting well, and completing the cute shrug ( I spun through the piccies) and the sweet little purse.

1:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your bag looks so nice. i wish i could crochet. and the lace is lovely. another project that rides nicely in the car is socks on circular needles. you can keep your elbows tucked with those and not nudge anyone constantly; great for flights, too.

do enjoy charleston. it's one of my favorite places. a cool shop to visit on King Street is Worthwhile; but you're so used to cool shops where you live... lil ol charleston might seem puny. and i liked a place called Indigo that was nearby the park entrance. got a sweet peridot ring there.

haven't been to any yarn shops there, but i imagine there are fabulous ones. and, if you can, take the ghost tour of charleston. i can also recommend restaurants if you don't know where to start.

are you coming down for spoleto?

there are two special exhibits at the Charleston Musuem that you might want to see given your appreciation of the needlearts: Girlhood Embroidery of the American South April 5 - September 30, 2006 & Fashions of the 1920s and 1930s
March 9, 2006 - February 18, 2007. I always find something to take home with me from their gift shop, but i always so at musuem gift shops.

great news about your formal ceremony! you must be so thrilled to have that behind you and tenure, promotion, and dossier building ahead!

your one skein pal, stotol

8:13 PM  
Blogger Nic said...

That bag is adorable. The flower really sets it off.

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home