Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Quick update!

Happy 2007 everyone! Can you believe it? I can't believe that it's a new year...actually, I can hardly believe that we're in the 21st century - I never quite got that one...and to think that we're nearing the end of the decade is just ridiculous!

As I mentioned during my last post, DH and I celebrated New Years' Eve with a totally fabulous meal that we cooked together. What was on the menu?

We started with these things called Gougeres - the best way to describe them is that they're flaky cheese puffs. They make them at one of our favorite restaurants in the city, Artisanal, which is a French bistro that specializes in fancy cheeses. So, the chef at the restaurant published a cookbook..and of course, we bought it and DH was set on making them for our dinner...and they were amazing!!

Then, we made cauliflower soup with truffle oil and pecorino romano cheese - this was soooo good.

Next, we made these things called Gnudi - which are very popular at some of the trendy restaurants. What are they? Well, imagine ravioli without the pasta..and we had the Gnudi with wild mushrooms. These were unlike anything I've had before...but in a very good way - very decadent.

For the main course, we had cornish game hens with caramelized root vegetables - also very delicious.

Last, we ended with homemade tiramisu with champagne of course! A perfect end to a perfect meal. By the way, if these recipes are of interest to you, the soup, gnudi, and hens with vegetables are from the current Bon Appetit magazine. All highly recommended - not easy and not exactly low fat - but it was a holiday afterall!

In knitting news, I finished the red baby sweater - at least the knitting part...it still has to get sewn up...I also started the pumpkin hat, got the materials for the pumpkin hat in red (which will be instead an apple hat), and also materials to make the bear booties from 50 Baby Booties to Knit. So, I'm on my way to being closer to being finished with the first set of baby gifts!!

Lastly, this post is also to inform you that DH and I will be visiting my mom in Charleston for a few days while I'm still on break from school. So, I won't be posting again until next week. Until then...happy 2007 again everyone!!

4 Comments:

Blogger JayJay said...

Wow, that meal sounds fabulous! Can I come to your house for dinner? ;) Thanks for the info regarding the hats book. It sounded so cute when I read about it in the latest Vogue Knitting. Have fun in Charleston and Happy New Year!

2:09 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I'm drooling just reading about that meal!! Happy New Year and hope you're having a great time in Charleston!

10:21 PM  
Blogger Old Knitter said...

You have been TAGGED . . . go check out your email for further instructions and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

9:33 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Oh là, Gougères--j'adore moi!!

12:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home