Thursday, September 28, 2006

And it only took 4 months and 6 days!

Guess what....the Granny Square Afghan is finally finished!! 49 huges squares and over 4 long months. In my defense, I was very sick and unable to do any fiber-related crafting for about 1 month...so I guess it's not too bad. Here are a few pictures of the finished product:
This was my best attempt at trying to capture the entirety of the afghan. As you can tell, it's a little too large to do that - but I think it gives you a good sense of the scope of the thing - it basically covers all of our queen-size bed.


In case you're also interested, here's a birds-eye view of some of the squares:
I'll tell you...the last few bits were a little frustrating. Doing 2 rounds of single crochet around the edge of the afghan took forever! It also ate through about one full skein of yarn!! Can you believe that?? Then, weaving in all of the little ends - it can drive you crazy...with 49 squares - that's a lot of ends!

But, the important thing is that it's done - and it's lovely and it's occupying a very nice spot on my couch and hubby and I will be able to snuggle underneath it...so it's all worth it!

I'll tell you though - it'll be a while before I do another granny square! Time to move on to other things.

In other knitting news, I've been making a little progress on the simple baby blanket - and Matilda Jane is plodding along...for whatever reason, I can't motivate myself to really sit down and devote several hours to working on those sleeves...it's just something about going round and round and round that's driving me a little batty.

In other news, I'm on a little fall break as of today! Hooray! I have the next two weeks off. I don't think I mentioned this yet but my husband and I will be going away next week for about a week to France. We're spending a few days in Paris and a few more days in the Loire valley - with all of the lovely castles. I'm very excited!! Don't think it's a completely random trip or anything - we're going to really celebrate our 5 year wedding anniversary. Yes, I know that already happened in August..but we didn't have the time to really celebrate then. I'll be sure to blog again before we leave - but thought I'd just give a heads-up!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Viva la France!!!!!! . . . I am green with envy (or maybe I am getting sick again) . . .your granny square blanket is beautiful and well worth all the effort it took to make it . . . but I agree it does take a long time before you begin anything again that requires connecting squares . . . have a wonderful relaxing and reaffirming time celebrating your anniversary!!!!!!

2:02 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Your afghan is absolutely gorgeous. It makes me want to learn to crochet! The photos of France are
lovely. I spent a week in Tuscany before the quarter began at my university. I stayed at a 15th- century villa in the hills overlooking Florence, and I had the same feeling. I just couldn't believe that I was staying in a place that beautiful!

The gardens of France look amazing. In general I have been underwelmed by the gardens in Italy. The Villa d'Este in Tivoli has amazing gardens, and the gardens at the Villa Gamberaia in Settignano are pleasant, but other than that I have seen nothing special. Oh well, I go to Italy for the Roman and Etruscan ruins mainly, anyway.

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home