Wednesday, September 20, 2006

One real sock completed! One to go!

So, I was working on my first pair of real socks - the kind that would fit me rather than a baby..and I was making great progress...until I realized that I made a size too big. So, instead of just putting up with it, I decided to rip out the entire sock and start from scratch. Plus, I went back on my promise to keep it simple. Instead of just doing a stockinette sock, I decided to take it up a notch. I used the Four-Stitch Ribbing Pattern from Sensational Socks and used the Elongated Corded Rib stitch. Well, I finished my first adult sock - and it fits!


Here I am modelling my first sock. By the way, I'm using Artyarns Supermerino - which I love! So, soft! Here's also a side view:

Anyway, I'm very proud of it as you can probably imagine. No second sock syndrome for me - I love the way that the sock feels so much that I just can't wait to finish. I've started up on the second sock and am currently working on the leg - so I have a little while to go. Well, I'm just really glad that I decided to frog the larger version - this way, I'll actually be happy wearing it!

I have a bunch of other news to share too. On Sunday, I went to the big Knit Out in New York. It was a lot of fun and I got a lot of free stuff - mostly free knitting patterns but also some yarn and needles. But, I had the most incredible experience that I need to share. I went to one of the booths for Crochet Today magazine (if you remember, when this magazine came out, I just raved about it). So, I wanted to give them my positive feedback. So, I spoke to the woman at the booth, and she asked me why I liked it - and I basically told her..and then I said that I really liked the designers in the issue too. So, the rest of our conversation went something like this:

Woman at booth: "So, which designers do you like?"

Me: "Oh, I just love Candi Jensen and.."

Woman at booth: "Wait, I'M CANDI JENSEN!!!!"

Me: "OMG! YOU'RE CANDI JENSEN!! IT'S SO GREAT TO MEET YOU!!"

Can you just imagine my excitement? She said she got goosebumps during our little exchange! I told her that I saw that her new book (that I've had on my Amazon wishlist forever) Knitting Loves Crochet, came out and how much I liked it, etc. etc (great book, by the way - but that's really another post). So, of course, I ran right over to the Barnes and Nobles across the street and had her autograph my book. What a nice lady! It totally just made my day to meet her. Can you believe that happened to me? I couldn't stop talking about it for the rest of the day.

In school news, we had a big departmental party with faculty and students yesterday. I organized the whole thing and it was a huge success. We had a very large turnout and everyone thanked me for putting it all together. Hooray!

Anyway, my second sock awaits!

3 Comments:

Blogger Jen Da Purse Ho said...

that is AWESOME that you got to meet her! :) did you take pictures? :)

and i'm very proud of your sock!!!!

3:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh so CUTE!!!! You are soooooo talented and inspiring . . . I just may try knitting a sock this weekend . . . of course if I do that I will have to give up my title "sock virgin" . . . and what a wonderful surprise to be able to meet Candi up close and personal!!!!

12:16 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

that sock is great!

and how cool to meet that designer

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home