Monday, February 26, 2007

Sometimes we just need a little break

Thanks so much for all of your comments regarding the Apple hat. I'm so glad that you all liked it and the leaves!!

So, at the end of last week, I finally went to get a haircut...You see, I have this affliction. The longer my hair gets, the younger I look. Now, you may think that this isn't really a problem. However, I'm already a young professor - as my hair gets longer, I start to look more and more like one of my students. It's kind of like a twilight episode. Now it's at my chin and all is good. But, I digress...

So, my favorite hairdresser happens to be about an hour away - it's well worth the drive because it's a really good haircut and the same haircut would be twice as much in the city. But, of course, I didn't go to just get a haircut. They have a Michael's in this town which allowed me to stop and get some cheap yarn. We have LYSs a-plenty over in the city - but no cheap yarn. Anyway, I picked up a few balls of Sugar 'n Cream and created a little diversion for myself.

Sometimes we all need a little diversion. I needed a little one from the booties. I made great progress last week on the booties - I just have the cuff left from one of the booties..but knitting with size 1 needles started getting a little tiresome. I needed a diversion.

So, I knit up one of the ballband dishcloths from Mason-Dixon knitting. Here it is:
After knitting this up, it has become clear to me why this dishcloth swept the knitting blogosphere several months ago (ok, so I'm a little late, but again, it's because of the lack of availability of cheap yarn). For those of you out there who haven't knit one of these babies up, the best way to describe this pattern is: delightful.

Yes, delightful. I don't say that about many patterns. But, what makes this pattern so great is that it's easily memorizable, quickly finished (only took me a few hours) instant gratification, knit on size 7s (compared to size 1 - this is a nice change), and I love the colors I chose - I even have enough yarn to do a blue dishcloth with yellow (as opposed to a yellow w/blue).

So, now after my very brief break, I feel refreshed enough to go back to those size 1s.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kayleen said...

Say, if you ever need any other diversions, we always need help knitting up afghan squares for our various charities. Right now we are knitting state squares to assemble various U.S. blankets to donate to Warm Up America, Project Linus and Afghans for Afghans. I'm all about that instant gratification thing. Maybe its because I'm a stage actress.....

Kayleen
Houston, TX
http://kayleenknits.blogspot.com/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FromtheHeartofTexas/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheHoustonKnitChicks/

12:15 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I know what you mean about a good haircut!

The entire Mason-Dixon Knitting book should have a warning, because it's all addictive...

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I’m in the process of doing some massive ring maintenance for the FiberArts Bloggers ring and I am contacting you because there’s a problem with your code. The code you have up is actually alright, except that the ring’s original home page on the urbanspinner site is long gone. The new home page is:
http://unioncenterknits.typepad.com/fiber_arts_bloggers/
You’re welcome to either switch out just that one part of the code, or ask me for the basic default ring code instead.
Please feel free to contact me with any related questions/concerns. Once you have your code fixed up, if you want to send me a note I’d appreciate it, so I can check it out. Thanks!
Joni
joniknitsATgmailDOTcom

11:25 AM  
Blogger JayJay said...

Size 1's! Good lord, no wonder you needed a break! I love your washcloth and appreciate the info about the Mason Dixon pattern. I got this book for Christmas and haven't done anything from it yet (not that I haven't wanted to, but I seem to have no time).

I keep my hair short, too. I'd say it was because I look too young when it's long, but really it's just because I'm lazy and long hair takes too much work. ;)

1:20 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

See, I'm 41 and still have the long hair fantasy...I envy the undergrads for their shiny lustrous locks and now spend more money and time on keeping it blond and straightened with one of those ungodly expensive chi irons than ever before in my life...but I'm loving it!!! Bottom line: you have to love your hair, period. Whatever it takes--driving to a new city, spending lots of ca$h money, you name it.

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home